In my study of the local history of the parish of Aghaloo in county Tyrone, the earliest record that I've found to date in the Memorials of Irish deeds  is no. 1-472-368, dated 15th & 16th February 1708. This particular transaction formalized a marriage settlement in anticipation of the intended union of John Hamilton, Esq., of Caledon, and Lucy, second daughter of Dr. Anthony Dopping, Bishop of Meath, and sister to Dr. Anthony Dopping, Bishop of Ossory. For his own part, the bridegroom was the son of William Hamilton (d.1672), Esq., of Caledon. 
By inheritance through his father who, in 1663, obtained from Charles II a grant of Sir Phelim O'Neill's estate,  in 1673 John Hamilton became the proprietor of the Manor of Caledon—which was, in fact, the ancient manor of Kinnaird. Forty years later, in 1713, John Hamilton himself was dead, leaving a son, William, who died young, and a daughter, Margaret. 
From this point, leases in the Manor of Caledon were granted by the heiress to the estate, Margaret Hamilton, then styled Spinster, of Caledon. Upon her marriage in 1738 to John Boyle, the Right Hon. Earl of Corke and Orrery, Miss Hamilton became known as the Right Hon. Countess of Corke and Orrery—and leases were granted to tenants under the joint authority of the Earl and the Countess.
Extent of the Manor of Caledon –
Though its name suggests county Tyrone interests, the Manor of Caledon also included land holdings in the county of Armagh. The Hamilton-Dopping marriage settlement detailed the assignment by Mr. Hamilton of the county Tyrone portion of his estate to three parties—namely, William King, the Lord Archbishop of Dublin, and Francis Bernard and Samuel Dopping of Dublin, Esqrs.—for "the severall Trusts Charges Provisoes Conditions Powers Limitations and Agreements in the said Quadripartite Indenture of Release Expressed limitted and Declared." Not unusually, these trusts were not spelled out in the Memorial, but the most likely objectives of this assignment were to provide jointure to Miss Dopping should Mr. Hamilton predecease her, and to specify the order of inheritance, typically along the line of male primogeniture.
The two lists, which appear after these final paragraphs, compare variant spellings for townlands that were itemized in Memorial no. 1-472-368. Each line contains the following information:
- the spelling given in the 1708 Memorial, given in boldface; those townlands I have not yet identified or associated with a parish are indicated in gold boldface;
- various of the historical spellings researched and presented by the estimable Northern Ireland Place-Name Project: this series of spellings concludes with the modern one, given in brown type, which generally was the same as that recorded by the Ordnance Survey in 1834/5; 
- the name of the townland in the Gaeilge, with its meaning in English;  and
- an indication—using the † mark—as to whether that townland was included in the list of townlands comprising the Caledon estate c.1860, as prepared by the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI). 
Each outline of townland names concludes with two lists: first, townlands cited in the Memorial but not by the PRONI; and second, townlands cited by the PRONI but not found in the Memorial.
- Most of the townlands in the county Tyrone portion of the Manor of Caledon were identified fairly readily, though there were some discrepancies between the two sources (i.e., the 1708 Memorial and the PRONI's 1860 list).
- A fair degree of success was obtained in matching townlands in the second list, that is, the county Armagh portion of the Manor of Caledon, to the PRONI's list. However, in this portion of the estate, there were many place names included in the Memorial which are absent from the PRONI's list.
- For each list, there were several place names which have, at least for this writer, defied identification or association with a particular parish.
- Given the passage of more than 150 years' time between the construction of the two sources, it is hardly surprising that changes would have occurred in the composition of the Manor of Caledon.
- Many, if not most, of the townlands reflect the spellings extant during the 1660s, when John Hamilton's father obtained the grant for the Manor of Caledon: this Memorial appears simply to repeat those spellings.
- Interestingly, the 1860 list includes several townlands from the parish of Clonfeacle.
- The differences or changes are particularly noticeable for the county Armagh portion of the Caledon estate. This is a very interesting highlight of this analysis because, while the 1708 Memorial entrusted the county Tyrone portion of the estate into the hands of three gentlemen, including the Lord Archbishop of Dublin, the county Armagh portion was reserved to the exclusive use and behoof of Mr. Hamilton.
Further analysis required –
Do the differences in the place names identified in the 1708 Memorial and the 1860 estate list reflect additions and divestments transacted by Mr. Hamilton and his heirs? and/or by subsequent proprietors, notably the Alexander family? While it is almost certain that the answers to these questions lie in the Caledon and other estate papers held by the PRONI, it will be fun—and hopefully, informative—to trace these changes in the Manor of Caledon by a continuing study of the Memorials of Irish deeds for the parish of Aghaloo.
Lists of townlands comprising the Manor of Caledon –
List 1. Townlands in the Barony of Dungannon (county Tyrone) portion of the Manor of Caledon, as written in Memorial no. 1-472-368 (dated 15 & 16 February 1708) – with notes from the Place Names of Northern Ireland Project as to historic variant spellings (primarily anglicizations dating from the mid-1600s), Gaelic spellings and meanings, and the spellings included by the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI), marked with †, in its list of townlands comprising the Caledon estate c.1860:
- Aghenis – Aghenisheightragh (1613), Aghenis (1660, 1834). Gaeilge: each inis, horses's holm or island. †Aagheris (1860)
- Agasallaght – Taghsalla (1609), Aghasallagh (1660), Aghnasallagh (1713), Annaghsallagh (c.1834). Gaeilge: eanach salach, dirty or miry marsh.
- Anaghcramph – Annaghgron (1609), Anaghknawe (1657), Anaghcramph (1660), Annaghknaffe (1664), Annaghcramp (1834). Gaeilge: eanach creamha, marsh of the wild garlic.
- Annaghroe – Annaghroe (1694, 1835). Gaeilge: eanach ruadh, red marsh.
- Annagh – Tannagh (1609), 1655 Enagh balliboe, Annagh (1661), Enagh (1666), Anagh (1697), Enagh (1834). Gaeilge: eanach, a marshy, low lying place.
- Ards – Kinard? (1603), The Ards (1664), Aird (1728), Ards (1834).
Gaeilge: aird, heights or small hills. †Ards (1860)
- Ballagh – Ballagh (1609, 1834). Gaeilge: bealach, a pass or leading road.
- Ballinavaddy – Ballenavaddy (1700), Ballyvaddy (1784, 1834).
Gaeilge: baile an mhadaidh, dog's town. †Ballyvaddy (1860)
- Cavanbuy – Cavanbuy (1660), Cavanboy (1661, 1834). Gailge: cabhan buidhe, hard, dry, yellow hill. †Cavanboy (1860)
- Clanadoey – Clondawghy (1609), Clondaugh (1666), Glendavogh (1694), Clondavagh (1702), Glendavagh (1779, 1834). Gaeilge: gleann dabhach, glen of the deep well or vats. The inclusion of this townland in the deed is a bit puzzling, as it was part of the Manor of Ballymagrane, owned by the Whyte family of Redhills, county Cavan.
- Clearkill – Clearkill (1641), per the Down Survey; this parcel occupied the southern portion of the modern townland of Caledon. 
- Comer – Comer (1609), Cumber (1702, 1834). Gaeilge: cumar, a confluence or meeting of rivers. †Cumber (1860)
- Cornelaght – Corowlat (1609), Cornelaght (166), Curlagh (1736), Curlaght (1827), Curlagh (1834). Gailge: cor leachta, round hill of the monument. †Curlough (1860)
- Creveleaught – Crewlagh (1609), Crevelagh (1660), Crivelough (1702), Mullincreevlogh (1784), Creevelough (1829, 1834). Gaeilge: craobh locha, spreading tree of the lake. †Crievelough (1860)
- Cullogan – Coolegon (1609), Coologor (1614), Cullagone (1655), Culligan (1700, 1834). Gaeilge: cuilleagan, a hazel shrubbery. †Culligan (1860)
- Derricrantone – Dirriecrantohan (1613), Derycrantone (1661), Derrykintone (1709, 1834). Gaeilge: doire cuin tamhain, wood of the hill of the tree. †Derrycantone (1860)
- Derrigooley – Dirriegoolie (1613), Daragully (1664), Derrygaly (1702), Derrygooley (1715), Derrygooly (1835). Gaeilge: doire guala, wood of the charcoal. †Derrygooley (1860)
- DowneMcMeagh – Doonmcmen (1609), Downemcmea (1613), Donn McMeigh (1660), Dunmacmeagh (1702), Dunmacmay (1834). Gaeilge: dun Mhic Mheith, M'Veigh's or Mac May's dun or fort. †Dunacmay [sic] (1860)
- Dredcartone – Dirricreeny (1610), Dreadcortan (1661), Derrycourtnay (1826), Derrycourtney (1834). Gaeilge: doire Cuairtain, Courtney's wood. †Derrycourtney (1860)
- Dromore – Dromore (1609), Drummore (1664), Dromore (1702, 1834). Gaeilge: druim mor, the big summit. †Dromore (1860)
- Drumas – Dromasse (1613), Drumas (1660), Dromess (1702), Dromess (1834), Drumess (1835). Gaeilge: druim easa, ridge of the waterfall. †Dromess (1860)
- Dyan – Deane (1613), Dyan (1660, 1834). Often referred to as "the Dyan." Gaeilge: an daighean, the fortress. †Dyan (1860)
- Finglish – Finglas (1609), Finglish (1664), Finglush (1709, 1834).
Gaeilge: fionn ghlaise, a bright streamlet. †Finglush (1860)
- Gynee – Geeney (1613), Ginis (1664), Guinnes (1705), Guiness (1813).
Gaeilge: gineadha, fertile spots of land. †Guiniss (1860)
- Kedew – Kedeagh (1613), Kedew (1660), Kedie (1742), Kedy (1783), Kedew (1834). Generally pronounced "Keady" locally. Gaeilge: ceide, a green hill or level hillock. †Keden [sic] (1860)
- Killigauny – Kiltegawanagh (1613), Killiganny (1660), Kilgowney (1709), Killigivan (1730), Kilgowney (1834). Gaeilge: coill gamhna, wood of the calves or strippers. †Kilgowley (1860)
- Killinall – Kileneal (1609), Killyneale (1613), Killinall (1660), Killynaul (1834). Gaeilge: coill an fhail, wood of the hedge or enclosure. †Killinaul (1860)
- Killmore – Kilmore (1609, 1834). Gaeilge: coill mhor, big wood.
- Killsamsoge – Kilsamsoge (1613), Kilsampson (1834). Gaeilge: coill Samsoin, Sampson's Wood. †Kilsampson (1860)
- Killshanagh – Kilshanagh (1782), Kilsannagh (1834). Gaeilge: coill seanach, wood inhabited by foxes. †Kilsbannagh [sic] (1860)
- Kinardtowne – Caislen clainni Seaain Buidhe hí Neill (1500), i ndrous caisléin Cinn Aird (1500), Kinard (1595), Kenard (1614), Manor of Kinard (1614), the ruins of the markett towne and castle of Kinard (1655), Kinardtowne (1660), Kinaird (1666), Calidon (1666), Caledon (1692, 1834).
Gaeilge: cionn aird, head of the height or hill. †Caledon (1860)
- Knockagenny – Knockagenn (1660), Knockaginny (1664, 1834).
Gaeilge: cnoc a gineadha, hill of fertile land. †Knockaginny (1860)
- Larakeene – Larragh keine (1609), Larakeane (1661), Laraghkeen (1705), Lairakeen (1834) or Lairakean. Gaeilge: laithreach caoin, beautiful situation or site. †Larrykeen (1860)
- Leaghtmackanabb – Lat mc enab (1609), Laghtmcanab (1614), Leaghtmackanabb (1660), Loghmacnab [Melbury] (1692), Loughmacnan [Melbury] (1753), Melbury (1753), Millbury (1834). †Milberry (1860)
- Lisladowne – Lismoldoon (1609), Lisladowne (1660), Lissmulladowne (1664), Lismulladown (1834). Gaeilge: lios Maoil Duin, Muldoon's fort. †Lismullydown (1860)
- Mullaghmore – Mullamore (1609), Mullaghmore (1660), Mullaghmore East, and Mullaghmore West (1835). Gaeilge: mullach mor, big summit. †Mullaghmore (1860)
- Mullinaseagh – Mullaneuagh (1609), Molleneveagh (1613), Mullineveagh (1661), Mullynaveagh (1835). Gaeilge: mullach na bhFiach, summit of the ravens. †Mullynaveigh (1860)
- Mullinele – Mullaineale (1609), Mullinele (1660), Mullyneill (1666, 1834).
Gaeilge: mullaigh Neill, Neill's summit. †Mullineal (1860)
- Mulloghmossagh – Mullaghmosagh (1613), Mullaghmossagh (1834).
Gaeilge: mullach maiseach, beautiful summit. †Mullaghmossagh (1860)
- Mullintur – Mullyturgh (1609), Lismullinture (1660), Mullintore (1661), Mullintor (1834). Gaeilge: mulach an tuair, summit of the bleach green. †Mullintor (1860)
- Mullicarnon – Mullicarnan (1609), Mullycarnan (1661, 1835).
Gaeilge: mullaigh carnan, summit of the stone heaps. †Mullycarnon (1860)
- Ramakett – Rathmaketie (1609), Rathmakett or Ravickett (1613), Ramakett (1655), Ramaket (1834). Gaeilge: rath Mhic Ceit, Fort of Keith's son. †Ramakit (1860)
- Stragrane – Shraighgraine (1609), Stragranie (1613), Stragrane (1660, 1834). Gaeilge: srath granda, ugly rath or holm. †Stragane (1860)
- Tireheige – Terehege alias Quilligan, roughly corresponding with the modern townland of Demesne, per the Down Survey map (1641). 
- Tamaghelea – ??
- Tawnalaghan – Tawnalghan (1609), Tawnaleane or Tawnaghleane (1661), Tavanaghlean (1738), Tannaghlane (1834). Gaeilge: tamhnach leathan, wide green field. †Tannaghlane (1860)
- Tullyremon – Tulliremon (1609), Tullyremon (1702). Gaeilge: tullaigh Reamoin, Redmond's hill. †Tullyremmond (1860)
- Tullyneshean – Tullineshana (1609), Tullyneskean or Tullyneshean (1660), Tullynashane (1699, 1834). Gaeilge: tullaigh na sian, stormy hill top. †Tulnashane (1860)
- Tannagh – Taunagh (1660), Tannagh (1702, 1834). Gaeilge: tamhnach, a green fertile field. †Tannagh (1860)
- Included in the Memorial but not in the PRONI's list: Annacramph (included in the PRONI's list as Annaghbarap?), Annagh, and Clanadowey or Glendavagh, in the parish of Aghaloo; parish(es) not identified – Clearkill, and Tamaghelea.
- Included in the PRONI's list but not in the Memorial: Derrylapin or Derrylappen, Eragh (Enagh?), and Glenarb, parish of Aghaloo; and Cadian, Drumnamoless, Gort, Gortmerrion or Gortmerron, and Terryglassogh, in the parish of Clonfeacle—which latter parish lies within the Barony of Dungannon Middle.
List 2. Townlands in the Barony of Tiranny (county Armagh) portion of the Manor of Caledon, as written in Memorial no. 1-472-368 (dated 15 & 16 February 1708) – with notes from the Place Names Project of Northern Ireland as to historic variant spellings (primarily anglicizations dating from the mid-1600s), Gaelic spellings and meanings, and the spellings included by the PRONI, marked with †, in its list of townlands comprising the Caledon estate c.1860:
- Ballynemeatagheightragh – Balynametad (1445), Ballynameta (1600), Bayllenametagh-Itragh (1614), Ballenemeataghitragh (1666), Ballynameta alias Wood Park (1835) in combination with Ballynemeataghoughtragh below. Situated in the parish of Tynan.  Gaeilge: baile na mBiatach, town of the victuallers. Note: The "eightragh" ending, also spelled íochtarach, translates to lower, in this case, the lower proportion of Ballynameta.
☛ Please note that, for the suffixes "eightragh" and "oughtragh," reference was made to Foras na Gaeilge's New English-Irish Dictionary, published online by the government of Ireland's Department of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, www.focloir.ie (accessed 2017-03-18).
- Ballynemeataghoughtragh – Balynametad (1445), Ballynameta (1600), Bayllenametaghoughtragh (1614), Ballenemeataghoutragh (1666), Ballynameta alias Wood Park (1835) in combination with Ballynemeatagheightragh, above. Situated in the parish of Tynan. 
Gaeilge: baile na mBiatach, town of the victuallers. Note: The "oughtragh" ending, also spelled uachtarach, translates to upper, in this case, the upper proportion of Ballynameta.
- Breaghine – Breaghy (1600), Breaghbuy or Breaghvey (1661), Breaghey (1835). Situated in the parish of Tynan. Gaeilge: breachmagh, plain of the wolves.
- Coolekill – Coolkill (1600), Coolekill (1659), Coolkill (1742). Situated in the parish of Tynan. Gaeilge: cúl-choill, back-wood.
- Correfiaghan – Corrafingha or Carfeaghna (1614), Corfehan (1640), Corfeaghan (1748), Corfehan (1830, 1835). Situated in the parish of Tynan. Gaeilge: cor Fiacháin, Fiachan's round hill. †Corseighan (1860)
- Creenerskin – ??
- Crossdalicowtragh – Crosdalotrach (1600), Crosdalaoughtragh (1614), Crossdale Utragh (1657), Crossdally Upper (1659), Crossdalicowtragh (1666), Crossdall (1835; probably combined with Crossdalietragh, below). Situated in the parish of Tynan. Note: The "oughtragh" ending, also spelled uachtarach, translates to upper.
- Crossdalietragh – Crosdalotrach (1600), Crosdalaoughtragh (1614), Crossdale Utragh (1657), Crossdally Upper (1659), Crossdalicowtragh (1666), Crossdall (1835; probably combined with Crossdalcowtragh, above). Situated in the parish of Tynan. Note: The "eightragh" ending, also spelled íochtarach, translates to lower.
- Dromakirkeene – Drumgaron (1600), Drumgarne (1614), Drumgarne alias Drumkerine (1668), Drumgarron (1835). Gaeilge: Druim garráin, ridge of the copse.
- Dromguose – Drumgose (1661), Drumguose (1664), Drumgose (1835). Situated in the parish of Tynan. Gaeilge: druim gCuas, ridge of the caves.
- Drommahirrary – Drumhillary (1614), Drumnahirry (1661), Drumhillary (1748), Drumhillery (1835). Situated in the parish of Tynan. Gaeilge: druim lolarach, ridge of the eagles. †Drumhillery (1860)
- Duguire – Dygharie (1429), Dougerry (1609), Dugirre (1661), Doogary (1835). Situated in the parish of Tynan.
- Glassdromine – Glassdrummond (1600), Glasdroman (1609), Glassdromine (1666), Glass Drummond (1835) or Glasdrummond. Situated in the parish of Tynan. Gaeilge: glasdromann, green ridge.
- Gortfad – ?? in the Barony of Tiranny. 
- Killtibride – not found in the Place Names of Northern Ireland project. Modern spelling: Kiltubbrid; in the parish of Tynan. In the Gaeilge: with cill = church or choill = wood or forest, and tubbrid or tiobraid = well?
- Lislony – Liossluayne or Lisloghny or Lislone (1614), Lislony (1666), Lislooney (1835). Gaeilge: lios Lúinigh, Looney's fort.
- Lissannill – Liosslanugoile or Lislanelly (1614), Lislanill (1661), Lisslanly (1835). Situated in the parish of Tynan. Gaeilge: lios Flanngaile, Flanelly's fort.
- Mullin – Moyllyoun or Mollin (1614), Mullin (1661, 1835) or Mullan. Gaeilge: mullán, a hillock. †Mullin or Mullan (1860)
- Namsoge – Inmynseoge (1614), Unshogg (1657), Numsoge or Mumsoge (1666), Unshog (1742, 1835). Gaeilge: Uinseog, the ash tree.
- Portnelligan – Caislén nua Puirt An Failleaccáin do bhriseadh (1531), Portnelligan (1600, 1835). Situated in the parish of Tynan. Gailge: Port an Fhailleagain, Falligan's bank.
- Skerry – Skerry (1600), Skerries (c.1830, 1835). Situated in the parish of Tynan. Gaeilge: sceiridh, rocks.
- Tulliglise – possibly Tullyglush Kane and Tullyglush Nevin in the parish of Tynan. 
- Tullybrackitragh – Tullybrick Bond (1748), Bondville alias Tullybrick Itragh (1835), or Tullybrick Etra, or Bondville. Situated in the parish of Tynan. Gaeilge: Tulaigh breach iochtarach, speckled hill (lower).
- Tullybrackoughtroigh, the lower half of – Tullybrick (1600), Tullibrickutragh (1614), Tullibrucke oughtragh (1657), Tullybrackoughtragh (1668), Bondville otherwise Tullaghbrackitra (1742), Tullybrick (Hamilton) (c.1830). Situated in the parish of Tynan. Gaeilge: Tulaigh breach uachtarach, speckled hill (upper).
- Tulliglisoglody – Tolligros Igoun (1609), Tulliglissoghdye (1657), Tullyglush (c.1834). This place name included both Tullyglush Kane and Tullyglush Nevin townlands, situated in the parish of Tynan. Gaeilge: tulaigh glas, green hill, and in the instance of the possessive, either Kane's or Nevin's green hill. †Tullyglush-kean, and Tullyglush-nevin (1860)
- Included in the Memorial, but not in the PRONI's list: Ballynemeatagheightragh and Ballynemeataghoughtragh (Ballynameta), Breaghine or Breaghey, Coolekill or Coolkill, Crossdalicowtragh or Crossdall Upper, Crossdalietragh or Crossdall Lower, Dromguosse or Dromgose, Duguire or Doogary, Glassdromine or Glasdrummond, Killtibride or Kiltubbrid, Lislony or Lislooney, Lissannill or Lisslanly, Portnelligan, Skerry or Skerries, Tulliglise, Tullybrackoughtroigh or Tullybrick Lower, Tullybrackoughtroigh or Tullybrick Hamilton – all in the Barony of Tiranny and county of Armagh. Parish(es) not known – Creenerskin, Gortfad, Tulliglise.
- Included in the PRONI's list but not in the Memorial: Annagharap, Cortynan, and Creifkeiran or Creevekeeran, parish of Tynan; Carnicastle, and Killygiven, in the parish of Clonfeacle, county Tyrone.
- Memorial no. 1-472-368: Hamilton to Lord Archbishop of Dublin (dated 15 & 16 February 1708; reg'rd 19 March 1708).
- Map of the parish of Aghaloo, county Tyrone
- Registry of Deeds Index Project – led by Nick Reddan
- Registry of Deeds – indexes sorted by date, Memorial number, surname, and parish, with transcriptions for many, as posted here to Arborealis.
Sources and notes:
This document was not an original deed, but rather issued from a repository of Memorials: these are essentially copies of the original deeds. Memorials of Irish deeds have been maintained by the Registry of Deeds office in Henrietta street in Dublin since the year, 1708. Memorials composed for legal deposit with the Registry had to meet limited information requirements.
❖ ❖ ❖
© Alison Kilpatrick, 2017. All rights reserved.