Timeline for the 39th Regiment of Foot, 1819–1828

Source: Cannon, Richard. Historical Record of the Thirty-Ninth or the Dorsetshire Regiment of Foot. London: Parker, Furnivall and Parker, 1853 (pp. 65–7). Please cite your sources.

1819: The regiment proceeded on its route for Castlebar in the county of Mayo, where it arrived on the 7th of January 1819.

1820: The Thirty-ninth marched from Castlebar to Dublin in August 1820, and arrived at its destination on the 17th of that month.

1821: In March 1821, the regiment was removed from Dublin to Cork.
  On the 24th of August, 1821, the establishment of the regiment was reduced from ten to eight companies, of three serjeants and seventy-two rank and file each; and on the 26th of November it marched from Cork to Tralee.

1822: In January 1822, some detachments of the regiment were employed in suppressing a partial insurrection of the Whiteboys. Brevet-Major George D'Arcy was attacked at Millstreet, in the county of Cork, and beat off considerable bodies of the insurgents. Brevet-Major Charles Carthew was also engaged with a large body of them near Bantry, when one private of the regiment was killed.

1823: The regiment marched, on the 1st of October 1823, from Tralee to Limerick.
  Lieut.-General Sir George Airey, K.C.H., was appointed colonel of the Thirty-ninth regiment on the 28th of October, 1823, in succession to General Nisbett Balfour, deceased.

1824: On the 12th of August 1824, Brevet Lieut.-Colonel Patrick Lindesay, C.B., was appointed Lieut.-Colonel of the Thirty-ninth regiment, in consequence of the retirement of Colonel Cavendish Sturt; Brevet-Major Donald McPherson succeeded to the vacant majority.
  The regiment marched to Buttevant, in the county of Cork, in the beginning of October 1824, and in this place was at length brought together, having been continually broken into small detachments during the whole of its service in Ireland, with the exception of a few months while stationed in Dublin.

1825: On the 25th of March 1825, the regiment, in common with the rest of the infantry, received an augmentation of two companies, raising its establishment to forty-two serjeants, fourteen drummers, and seven hundred and forty rank and file. These companies were given to the two senior subalterns, Lieutenants Simon Newport and Francis Henry Hart, whose commissions as captains were dated 7th and 8th April 1825. At this period it was directed that each battalion of infantry in the United Kingdom, as well as those on foreign stations (the East Indies excepted), should consist of six service companies of eighty-six rank and file each, and four dépôt companies of fifty-six rank and file each, making seven hundred and forty in all. The dépôts of such regiments as were serving at home, continued united with their respective corps.
  An order was received on the 10th of July 1825, intimating that the regiment was destined to proceed to New South Wales, and ultimately to India. On the 19th of July, it marched to Cork to be embarked for Chatham, from whence it was ordered to proceed to New South Wales, as guards over convicts. The first division left Cork on the 19th, and the head-quarters on the 30th of September.
  A detachment, consisting of one captain, one subaltern, one serjeant, and twenty rank and file, embarked on the "Woodman" convict ship on the 4th of November 1825, and proceeded to Van Dieman's Land and Sydney.
  The last division of the regiment arrived at Chatham from Cork, on the 25th of November 1825.

1826: Several detachments of the regiment proceeded to New South Wales during the year 1826. 
  In the latter part of 1826, Captain Joseph Wakefield proceeded to assist in establishing a settlement at King George's Sound on the southern coast of New Holland; and in the beginning of the following year, Captain Henry Smyth was despatched to effect a similar purpose on the northern coast, and succeeded in forming a settlement named Fort Wellington, in Raffles' Bay. 

1827: The head-quarters under the command of Colonel Lindesay, were embarked for New South Wales in the ship "Cambridge" on the 26th of April 1827, and arrived at their destination on the 17th of September following.
  From The 4th of November 1825, to the 5th of May 1827, the whole of the men of the service companies, together with two officers and fifty-nine men drawn from the depôt, were embarked for New South Wales. 

1828: In consequence of the breaking-up of the reserve or depôt companies of the regiment in the beginning of 1828, the officers and men composing those companies proceeded by detachments to the head-quarters in New South Wales, leaving a depôt company in England, on the 24th of August 1830, of two captains, two lieutenants, one ensign, five serjeants, six corporals, four drummers, and thirteen privates. The first detachment embarked for New South Wales on the 1st of February 1828, and the last sailed on the 30th of August 1830.
  During the period the regiment was employed in New South Wales, detachments were stationed at Van Dieman's Land, at King George's Sound, and on the northern coast, which was distant six hundred, fifteen hundred, and two thousand miles from the head-quarters.

See also News transcripts for the 39th regiment in Ireland, 1819–1825

Return to Local history timelines index page.

❖          ❖          ❖

© Alison Kilpatrick, 2015. All rights reserved.
Copyright notice

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."—Lesley Poles Hartley (1895–1972), The Go-Between (1953).

Contact   |  Copyright notice  |   Privacy statement   |   Site map

© Alison Kilpatrick 2014–2019. All rights reserved.