Logo and web site
Latest Additions

Timeline for the parishes of Kilrea & Tamlaght O'Crilly, 1750 - 1769.

Please refer to Notes and References at bottom of page.
Return to Kilrea & Tamlaght O'Crilly timeline front page.

Sources; Comments; Links
The Mercers' Company leased their lands to John McMullan, for the annual rent of £420, with £6,000 fine. Kernohan (1912), pg. 19.
1740–1766 "[F]amine and heavy emigration produced absolute declines in the numbers of Protestant households in Kilrea and Macosquin, … By contrast, between 1766 and 1831 Protestants in the same parishes enjoyed annual growth rates that were higher than the provincial average and higher than those for local Catholics, causing relative increases in the Protestant shares of their populations." Miller & Schrier (2003), pg. 672.
1741–1771 Hugh Morrison was schoolmaster of the parish school in Kilrea. The Bishop's Visitation Book, and the Kilrea Vestry Book, 1733-1876, cited in The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 46.
1748–1772 The Rev. John Grifford was the Protestant rector of Kilrea. Ordnance Survey Memoirs.

See entry under 1761-10, "The Rev. John Giffard..." for a different starting date.
1749-10-31 to 1785 The Rev. John Smyth [not to be confused with his successor of the same name] was ordained the Presbyterian minister at Boveedy. He had married the widow of the Rev. Alexander Cumming. Kernohan (1912), pg. 60.

Note: The Rev. John Smyth, and many of his congregants, moved to Kilrea in 1779. See the entry under 1779-05-18, "Mr. Alexander Stewart's agent..."
Father Andrew Bradley, a Dominican, was the parish priest of Kilrea.
Research by Mrs. Kathleen Gillen; cited in The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 83.
  The Mercers' Company leased their estate to Mr. Alexander Stewart (1746–1831), of Newtownards [see note, to right], for three lives (which expired in 1832) or 61 years, for a fine of £16,300, and a yearly rent of £430. Mr. Stewart extended the town northwards, and The Diamond was laid out.
  (3) "The 1751 lease to the Stewarts recites the following balliboes in the Manor of the Mercers:--Carn-roo, Coldrum-Drena (in territory of Mullainch); also territory of Bullana-Moine; also in territory of Inish-Rush or Grainge, Leagh-Leave, Monigran, Kilfaddy, Nergena, Moynock, Lisleah, Fallacoge, Lisnagrot; also in the territory of Farsett-Mona, Dullaghey, Crosclunt, Cregegola, Ballymennott, Larah, Lessakrin; also Dennahor, Balla-leene, Carballentubber; also Merrish-Allen, Dough Mack Conway, Lismoile, Billimany, Ballimony, Ballinekeedy, Cooolnagloo, Swootray, Greenham, Ballinebehey, Amford-Laune, Terenegera, Teregarwell, Mackah, Monisharnan, Tere, Knockneale, Dungladdy; also Lisnegalvin, Mavannahor, Tawlett, Claraletrim, Monelarbane. The townlands set to freehold tenants were Tawny-Kingog, (Tamneyrankin), Slatneale, Drumsara, Lanvore, Moylatualey, Drummuck, Boveed." Kernohan was not able to identify a few of the townlands listed. The 1751 lease "did not mention Kilrea, so it was subsequently the Mercers' Company secured the townland on which their chief town stands." (Kernohan, 1906)
(1) City of London Livery Companies' Commission (1884), pp. 11, 229. This source cites a fine of £16,500 and annual rent of £420.
(2) Kernohan (1912), pp. 19, 30.
(3) Kernohan (1906).

Note: According to the introductory paper, written about the Stewart-Bam records held at the Public Record Office in Belfast, Mr. Stewart's domicile was un Ards, near Dunfanaghy, in county Donegal. However, Alexander Stewart, jun., the landlord of the Mercers' portion, also purchased the Newtownards and Comer estates in county Down, in 1744. Alexander Stewart, jun., was the younger brother of Robert, Marquess of Londonderry.
Great inundations of rain throughout the country.
Walford (1879).
A new meeting-house was erected in Boveedy, at a cost of £150 and the employment of both horse and manual labour, on a site granted by the landlord, — Cary, Esq., of Greencastle. "It was of the usual unpretentious kind, with thatched roof and clay floor. Its dimensions were 58ft. 10in. by 21ft. The windows, twenty-five in number, were diamond-paned" (OSM).
Kernohan (1912), pg. 58.
Account of Boveedy written by James McIlfatrick; cited in The Fairy Thorn Revisited (1996), pg. 125.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs (OSM).
The building, that would become the Mercers' Hotel, was originally occupied by the Company's agent.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 88.
Anthony Ferran, was arrested for robbing James Henry, of Kilrea, of 17 guineas. While on the way to the gaol in Derry, Ferran escaped the custody of the constable. John Sloane, of Broomount, offered a reward of 10 guineas for the capture of Ferran.
Belfast News-Letter, 13 January 1756.
Link to transcription, which includes a description of Anthony Ferran.
Acting as agent for the Mercers' Company, Alexander Stewart set the corn mills of Kilrea and Lisnagroat for rent.
Belfast News-Letter, 22 September 1758, and 15 December 1758. Link to transcriptions.
Audley Fanning and George Cary set the lands of Boveedy to lease, for the term of thirty-one years or three lives. The advertisement stipulated that only Protestant applicants need apply.
Belfast News-Letter, 28 November 1758.
Link to transcription.
The Diamond was laid out, in the shape of a square, in the centre of the town of Kilrea.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), "Reflections."
Hugh Kaine and John Kaine, alias McNaght, were suspected of breaking into the tan-yard of James McAlister, of Lislea, and having stolen a horse, a quantity of leather, and a horse hide. Mr McAlister offered a reward of three guineas for the capture of the suspects.
Belfast News-Letter, 10 February 1761.
Link to transcription.
The Rev. John Giffard was collated to the parish of Kilrea [Church of Ireland].
Belfast News-Letter, 30 October 1761.
Link to transcription.

The Ordnance Survey Memoirs refer to the Rev. John Grifford as the Protestant rector of Kilrea from 1748–1772.
Rowley Heyland, Esq., set a lease for seventeen years, with a clause for renewal, a farm, containing one hundred acres, in the townland of Drumlane, parish of Tamlaght O'Crily.
Belfast News-Letter, 31 January 1764, and 6 July 1764.
Link to transcriptions.
The house of James Dunbar, of Ruskey townland, parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly, was burnt, the office-houses pulled down, and the timber from the latter carried away. Richard Olpherts, Esq., agent for the Rev. Dr. John Averell, offered a reward of £20 for the discovery and prosecution of the person or persons concern'd in the crime.
Belfast News-Letter, 24 September 1762.
Link to transcription.
The Right Hon. Thomas Connolly set for a lease, for such Term as would be agreed, the townlands of Eden, Inishrush, and Gortnagorb [sic], and that part of Moneystaghan held by Edmond O'Dighan, all lying within the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly.
Belfast News-Letter, 8 May 1764.
Link to transcription.
John Richey, of Ballyronen, and his brother, Stephen, of the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly, went to the house of Arthur Black, of the parish of T. o'C. and took him prisoner on an Assize Decree. When Mr Black's wife attempted to set her husband at liberty, John Richey shot her, of which wounds she died. After the Richeys fled, a public notice was issued to owners and masters of ships to keep an eye out for the said Richeys.
Belfast News-Letter, 13 July 1764.
Link to transcription.

See also entry under 1768-07-29, "Stephen Richards, of Killygullib, ..."
Robert Church, of Coleraine, gave Notice of intention to sell the Timber of the Mansion-house at Tyanee, parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly. The timber consisted of Glen Wood Oak, Firr, and Ash trees.
Belfast News-Letter, 6 July 1764.
Link to transcription.
Abraham Hamilton, of Bellaghy, gave notice of intent, to sell the woods of Ballymacpeake, in whole or in parcels.
Belfast News-Letter, 19 March 1765.
Link to transcription.
Great scarcity; distilling and exportation of corn prohibited by Act of Parliament.
Walford (1879).
1766-12-09 The distillers of Coleraine district issued a public notice that, in light of the scarcity of corn in the country, they would not distill from any grains--except bere and barley--until the next harvest. Further, they would offer a reward of a guinea to any person or persons who would discover clandestine distillers.
Belfast News-Letter, 9 December 1766.
Link to transcription, which includes a list of distillers in the district.
1766 "Fl. Aindreas O'Brolchain, a native of Maghera, was Pastor of Tamlaght O'Crilly and Desertoghill [i]. He lived at Moneysallin where he had a Mass-house. He had another Mass-house at Timaconway."
Note [i]: Roman Catholic.
Parish of Greenlough (2006).
James McAlester, of Lislea, parish of Kilrea, set a lease of twenty-one years, for the house that Edward McAlester lived in, the Ferry over the river Bann, the houses that Godfrey O'Hendry and James Meabrey lived in, and several tenements adjoining Barkle's farm.
Belfast News-Letter, 9 May 1766.
Link to transcription.
An advertisement in the Belfast News-Letter sought proposals from any person or persons to undertake to finish the work of building a bridge over the river Bann at Portna (Portneil), to be submitted to the landlord, Alexander Stewart.
Belfast News-Letter, 7 April 1767.
Link to transcription.

See also entry under 1783, "The bridge at Portna was built..."
As of the 25th March 1768, sellers of Wine, Ale, Spirits, and Cyder were required to obtain Licences to sell, under the authority of James Leslie, the Collector for the Colerain district. Sellers could obtain said Licences from offices at Maghera, Ballymoney, Ballycastle, and Colerain. If not obtained from one of those offices, a Seller would have to obtain a Certificate from the next residing Justice of Peace, proving qualifications, and entering into proper Recognizance.
Belfast News-Letter, 18 March 1768.
Link to transcription.
Stephen Richards, of Killygullib, parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly, Farmer, surrendered himself to the Sheriffs of the County of Londonderry, to stand his trial at the next Assizes, for the murder of Catherine Black, wife of Arthur Black, of Moneysally, same parish.
Belfast News-Letter, 29 July 1768.
Link to transcription.

See also entry under 1764-06-26, "John Richey, of Ballyronen, and his brother, Stephen, ..."
The tenants of Reastown, parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly, petitioned the Bishop about renewal fines levied by the landlord, Hercules Rowley, who, in turn, held the land from the Bishop.
PRONI ref. D2798/3/2, per index entry in online catalogue, www.proni.gov.uk (accessed 2015-01-20).


This timeline may not be copied, transmitted, or reproduced for profit or for gain--in whole or in part-- in any medium, including web sites that ask for donations, feature advertisements, or link directly or indirectly to any commercial concern. Please use our Contact page to forward questions or suggestions.

  • Day, Angélique, and Patrick McWilliams, eds. Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland. Vol. XXVII. Parishes of County Londonderry VIII, 1830, 1833-7, 1839. East Londonderry. Belfast: The Institute of Irish Studies, The Queen's University of Belfast, in association with The Royal Irish Academy, Dublin, 1994.
  • Day, Angélique, and Patrick McWilliams, eds. Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland. Vol. XVIII. Parishes of County Londonderry V, 1830, 1833, 1836-7. Maghera and Tamlaght O'Crilly. Belfast: The Institute of Irish Studies, The Queen's University of Belfast, in association with The Royal Irish Academy, Dublin, 1993.
  • Great Britain, House of Lords and House of Commons. City of London Livery Companies' Commission, Report and Appendix, Vol. II. London: Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1884.
  • Kernohan, J.W. "Notes on the Manor of Mercers, County Derry (1609-1660)." Ulster Journal of Archaeology, Vol. XXII, No. 1 (January, 1906), pp. 179-87.
  • Kernohan, J.W. The Parishes of Kilrea and Tamlaght O'Crilly: A Sketch of Their History, With an Account of Boveedy Congregation. Coleraine: Chronicle Office, 1912. Transcribed by Barbara Braswell and Richard Torrens; posted to Richard Torrens' Bann Valley Genealogy web site, www.torrens.org.uk/Genealogy/Bann Valley/
  • Kilrea Local History Group. The Fairy Thorn: Gleanings and Glimpses of Old Kilrea; published by The Kilrea Local History Group. Coleraine: Impact Printing, 1984.
  • Kilrea Local History Group. The Fairy Thorn Revisited: More Gleanings and Glimpses of Old Kilrea, published by The Kilrea Local History Group. Coleraine, and Ballycastle, 1996.
  • Miller, Kerby A., and Arnold Schrier, eds. Irish Immigrants in the Land of Canaan: Letters and Memoirs from Colonial and Revolutionary America, 1675-1815. Oxford University Press, 2003.
  • Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI). Introduction: Stewart-Bam Papers (D4137, D2784/19). Belfast: PRONI, November, 2007.
  • Sagart, Art. P. O'Raghallaigh. The Parish of Greenlough/Tamlaght O'Crilly: A Brief History (pub. 2006). Online at www.69thpa.co.uk/tamlaghtpdf.pdf (accessed 2015-01-17).
  • Walford, Cornelius. The Famines of the World: Past and Present. London: Edward Stanford, 1879.
Updated, 21 March 2015; edited, 26 March, 2015.
© Alison Kilpatrick 2015