Logo and web site
      title
Home
Blog
Resources
Latest Additions
About
Contact

Timeline for the parishes of Kilrea & Tamlaght O'Crilly, 1770 - 1779.

Please refer to Note and References at bottom of page.
Return to Kilrea & Tamlaght O'Crilly timeline front page.


Year
Events
Sources; Comments; Links
1770
A Presbyterian meeting-house was built in Kilrea, with a slated roof and accommodation for 480 adults in 60 single pews" (OSM). The building was paid for with funds raised by by subscription.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs (OSM).

Kernohan states that the church was built in 1783 or 1784 (1912, pp. 37, 42).
1770-01-31
Neale McPeake the younger, of Kilrea, was admitted and sworn an Attorney of his Majesty's Court of Common Pleas.
Belfast News-Letter, 6 February 1770.
Link to transcription.
1770-07-08
One horse and one colt were stolen from Joseph Read of Munoke [Moynock?], parish of Kilrea, by Robert Steenson who made his escape. Reward of one guinea offered for his apprehension.
Belfast News-Letter, 2 August 1770.
Link to transcription.
1770-09-13
The Earl of Donegall gave notice of intent to set a twenty-one year lease for the eel fisheries of Portna and Toome.
Belfast News-Letter, 16 August 1771.
Link to transcription.
1770–1802
Father James O'Regan was parish priest of Kilrea. In Tamlaght O'Crilly, he said Mass in a hollow below Scroggie Hill. The hill  afforded a good view to raise a warning when there was a risk of detection.
Research by Mrs. Kathleen Gillen; cited in The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 83.
The Parish of Greenlough (2006) cites Father O'Regan's name as John (or Laurence).
1771-04
The inhabitants of Kilrea met at the house of James Henry, where he supplied the whole with liquor, on account of Robert Stewart having been elected unanimously Knight of the Shire for the county of Down. The night concluded with bonfires, illuminations, and the greatest demonstrations of joy.
Belfast News-Letter, 9 April 1771.
Link to transcription.
1771-10-17
A fat Heifer was stolen off the Lands of Drumalish, in the parish of Tamlaught, the property of Rowley Heyland, Esq. A reward was offered of Twenty Guineas to any Person who should discover and prosecute to Conviction the Person or Persons who stole said Heifer.
Belfast News-Letter, 22 October 1771.
Link to transcription.
1771–1781
The Rev. John Houghton was the Protestant rector of Kilrea.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
1772
The rectory, for the parish church of Kilrea (Church of Ireland), was built.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.

Note: The Memoirs stated that the Rev. John Houghton was rector of the parish of Kilrea from 1771-1781, yet also state that, in 1772, the rector was the Rev. Richard Waddy.
1772-04-14
A number of inhabitants of the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly surrendered their arms to Henry Ellis, of Innishrush, Esq., to shew their submission to Government as the surest pledge of their peaceable intentions. The subscribers also swore never to associate with the Hearts of Steel.
Belfast News-Letter, 14 April 1772.
Link to transcription. The article includes a list of the persons who undertook this action.
1772-04-21
Three hundred and two inhabitants of the parishes of Tamlaght O'Crilly and Kilrea, heartily concerned for the lawless and unruly Behaviour of the Hearts of Steel, posted a notice to pledge their faith to each other and to the Publick, and to shew themselves the most loyal Subjects to their good and gracious Sovereign.
Belfast News-Letter, 21 April 1772.
Link to transcription. Please note that the names of the 302 inhabitants were not printed in the notice.
1772-07-29
A monthly Market for brown linens commenced in Kilrea, on Wednesday, the 29th July.
Belfast News-Letter, 10 July 1772.
Link to transcription.
1773
The Rev. John Wesley visited Kilrea, and stayed at the rectory.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 87.
1773-04-23 & 30
The landlords of the Kilrea estate, co. Londonderry, and the Killyquinn estate, co. Antrim, supplied their tenants with flaxseed for the season. The following week, the tenants of the Kilrea estate posted a notice of their gratitude for "the many Acts of Benevolence exercised towards them by their worthy Landlord Alexander Stewart, Esq. of Newtown-Ards."
Belfast News-Letter, 23 & 30 April 1773.
Link to transcriptions.
1773-11-22
James McPeak, of Monastaghan, parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly, gave notice that he would undertake to reclaim to green pasture or meadow, any kind of moor, moss, or bog, upon very reasonable terms. Mr. McPeak's notice also contained a warning to trespassers on his Nurseries.
Belfast News-Letter, 31 December 1773.
Link to transcription.
1774
The Glebe House at Hervey Hill, for the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly, was built by the Bishop of Derry, Lord Hervey, the Earl of Bristol.
Kernohan (1912], pg. 37.
Extracts from a paper written by Miss Clark, cited in The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 64.
Ordance Survey Memoirs.
1774-08-26, and
1779-02-16
The Belfast News-Letter published excerpts from a pamphlet entitled, "Thoughts on lowering the waters of Lough Neagh, and other great lakes in Ireland." The pamphlet had been written by the Rev. Arthur Forde, rector of Lurgan. Rev. Mr. Forde lived near the southern shore of the lough and, in his pamphlet, he addressed the subject of improving drainage and reducing flooding by the lowering of Lough Neagh. After his death, the pamphlet was re-published in 1773, and was offered for sale in Lisburn, Lurgan, and Portadown.
Belfast News-Letter, 26 August 1774.
Link to transcription. A second advert was published 16 February 1779.
Also, The Newry Magazine, Vol. I (1815), pp. 406-7. In this edition of The Newry Magazine were published several journal articles under the heading, "On making the Lower Bann navigable."
c.1775
There were still remnants of the old (i.e., pre-Plantation) thickly wooded forests on every hill in the parish of Kilrea.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
1775-03-07, and
1775-04-18
In March, a number of subscribers advertised their intention to attend regularly the Linen Market at Kilrea, on the 29th of every Month. A subsequent notice was published in April, to reassure the Linen Manufacturers of their intent to give due attendance at the Kilrea Cloth Market on the last Wednesday of every Month.
Belfast News-Letter, 7 March 1775.
Link to transcriptions. The first notice lists thirty-one Buyers who subscribed their names.
c.1776
The chapel of ease (Established Church, or Episcopalian) was built in Tyanee, parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly, at a cost of about £150, to which the Henery Ellis, of Inishrush, contributed a part.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
1777-10-11
Murder of Daniel Mullaghan, of Kilrea. Examinations were lodged with the Rev. John Haughton, charging Patrick Brizle and James Collins, both of Kilrea, with the Murder. A reward of ten Guineas was offered to any person or Persons who would apprehend either or both of the men so that they could be prosecuted to Conviction.
Belfast News-Letter, 24 October 1777.
Link to transcription.
1778
Father James O'Regan (1770-1802) built Drumagarner Chapel, about a mile south from the site of the old church, and a mile from Kilrea on the Maghera road. "The Church was a low building with a thatched roof." The cost was defrayed by contributions of money and labour. Kernohan (1912), pg. 67.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
Research by Mrs. Kathleen Gillen; cited in The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 83.

The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 80; 92.
1778-04-07
Boyd and Patterson offered for sale, at Ballymoney and at Portna, a selection of New Dutch, Ostend, and English flaxseed, and also Dantzig and Barilla ashes, Dutch starch, smalts, iron, teas, &c.
Belfast News-Letter, 7 April 1778.
Link to transcription.
1778-12-22
Thomas Cassedy, weaver, who dwelt near Kilrea, was suspected of breaking into the Work-shop of John Adams, of Ballyweney, parish of Loughgeel, co. Antrim. A notice was published, offering a reward to any Person who would, within six calendar Months, discover and prosecute the said Thomas Cassedy to Conviction.
Belfast News-Letter, 22 December 1778.
Link to transcription. The notice lists nineteen subscribers, with the amounts promised for the reward.
1778–1792
The Volunteers were local militia that emerged to defend Ireland and maintain law and order. As independent companies, they were not commanded by government officials and recruited both Presbyterians and Catholics. The Volunteers' numbers grew to 500,000. County Derry was well represented, and nearly every clergyman was a member. When the Volunteers decided to focus on politics, in particular, an independent Parliament for Ireland, the government called in their firearms, and in 1792, the Volunteers disbanded.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 12, states that Catholics were not allowed to join.
PRONI, Description of the Irish Volunteers.
1779-05-04
(1) Mr. Alexander Stewart's agent was "Mr. Henry, a bleacher, and probably the most influential Presbyterian in Kilrea. At Mr. Henry's solicitation, Mr. Smyth and the larger part of his congregation were persuaded to remove to Kilrea, which was now becoming a town. The minutes from the sub-synod of Derry's records will explain the situation:--
    "May 18th 1779. From Kilrea (in the bounds of the Presbytery
    of Rout) appeared a supplication (Samuel Read, etc.,
    Commissioners) informing us that a division is likely to take
    place in that congregation, that this matter was canvassed
    at the Presbytery, but that they could not make up the
    breach. They therefore refer the matter to this sub-Synod,
    as appears from their minutes which were read; and
    requesting that we may order their minister, Mr. Smyth, to
    preach alternately in Kilrea and Bovidy (as there is a great
    majority of the congregation for a coalition.)
      "From Bovidy appeared a supplication (Wm. Gilmer, etc.
    requesting that this Synod may order Bovidy to be declared
    a vacant congregation, and that supplies may be granted
    them, particularly Mr. James Elder. Mr. Smyth and the
    Commissioners from both places were heard at considerable
    length."
The committee decided in favour of the Kilrea petitioners, who were inhabitants of Kilrrea, Tamlaght, and Desertoghill; and, the General Synod upheld the committee's decision "to divide the time of Mr. Smyth between Kilrea and Boveedy. After two years Boveedy joined the Seceders, and Kilrea continued as a separate congregation under Mr. Smyth."
(2) The Rev. Adam Boyle was ordained as the first minister of Boveedy as a Seceding congregation in 1781/82.
(1) Kernohan (1912), pp. 60-61.
(2) The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 68.

Note: The Ordnance Survey Memoirs state that the Presbyterian meeting-house, on Church-street, was built in 1770, at the expense of the congregation.

Note: This timeline may not be copied, transmitted, or reproduced for profit or for gain--in whole or in part--in any medium, including web sites that ask for donations, feature advertisements, or link directly or indirectly to any commercial concern. Please use our Contact page to forward questions about usage, or suggestions for inclusion.

References:
  • Day, Angélique, and Patrick McWilliams, eds. Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland. Vol. XXVII. Parishes of County Londonderry VIII, 1830, 1833-7, 1839. East Londonderry. Belfast: The Institute of Irish Studies, The Queen's University of Belfast, in association with The Royal Irish Academy, Dublin, 1994.
  • Day, Angélique, and Patrick McWilliams, eds. Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland. Vol. XVIII. Parishes of County Londonderry V, 1830, 1833, 1836-7. Maghera and Tamlaght O'Crilly. Belfast: The Institute of Irish Studies, The Queen's University of Belfast, in association with The Royal Irish Academy, Dublin, 1993.
  • Kilrea Local History Group. The Fairy Thorn: Gleanings and Glimpses of Old Kilrea; published by The Kilrea Local History Group. Coleraine: Impact Printing, 1984.
  • Kernohan, J.W. The Parishes of Kilrea and Tamlaght O'Crilly: A Sketch of Their History, With an Account of Boveedy Congregation. Coleraine: Chronicle Office, 1912. Transcribed by Barbara Braswell and Richard Torrens; posted to Richard Torrens' Bann Valley Genealogy web site, www.torrens.org.uk/Genealogy/Bann Valley/
  • "Memoir on the Subject of making the Lower Bann navigable, and restraining the winter redundance of Lough Neagh." The Newry Magazine, or Literary & Political Register, for 1815. Vol. I.
  • Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI). “Family History: 18th Century Sources: Volunteers.” Family History: More Sources: 18th Century Sources: Volunteers (© 2007). Hosted online by the PRONI, www.proni.gov.uk (accessed 2015-01-20).
  • Sagart, Art. P. O'Raghallaigh. The Parish of Greenlough/Tamlaght O'Crilly: A Brief History (pub. 2006). Online at www.69thpa.co.uk/tamlaghtpdf.pdf (accessed 2015-01-17).
This page was edited on the 27th March, 2015.
© Alison Kilpatrick 2015