Logo and web site
Latest Additions

Timeline for the parishes of Kilrea & Tamlaght O'Crilly, 1820 – 1829.

Please refer to Note and References at bottom of page.
Return to Kilrea & Tamlaght O'Crilly timeline front page.

Sources; Comments; Links
Tamlaght O'Crilly London Hibernian Society school was established; 20 Established Church, 30 Presbyterian, 20 Roman Catholic, and 69 "other" pupils.
The Fairy Thorn Revisited (1996), pg. 76.
(1) The population of the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly was 7,516, and of Glennawn [Glenone], 973. The population of the parish of Kilrea was 2,723, plus 973 in the town of Kilrea.
The population of the village of Kilrea was 973 people, occupying 110 houses. The population of the parish of Kilrea was 3,969.
(1) Population in Ireland, 1821 & 1831 (pg. 35).
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 20.
Glenone Kildare Street Society school was established; 20 Established Church (E.C.), 8 Presbyterian, and 46 Roman Catholic (R.C.) pupils. Also, Hervey Hill London Hibernian Society school; 12 E.C., 10 Presbyterian, 12 R.C., and 16 "other" pupils. Both schools were situated within the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly.
The Fairy Thorn Revisited (1996), pg. 76.
A wooden vessel, hollowed out of a birch tree, was found in the bog at Moneygran.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
Inquest performed by Mr. Henry Allen, at Green Castle, county Antrim, on the body of John M'Iver, of Kilrea, aged 17 years. Itinerant and begging for his subsistence, he took shelter near a lime kiln. One night, he climbed into the kiln to stay warm. The jury's verdict was that John M'Iver died of suffocation before the fire reached him.
Glasgow Herald, 22 January 1821.
Link to transcription.
  An epidemic of typhus and dysentery prevailed over the country, and though the harvest had been plentiful, the potatoes rotted in the pits, owing to a rainy season. The ravages of famine and disease visited the provinces of Munster and Leinster with particular severity, but barely touched Ulster and Leinster. Ryan (1832), pg. 399.
Walford (1879).
Maguire (1863), pg. 370.
1821-11-10 and
Death of the the wife of the Rev. John Smith, at the age twenty-nine years, and six weeks later, of the Rev. Mr. Smith. Both were buried in the churchyard of 1st Kilrea Presbyterian. The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 69.
Evans & O'Keefe, First Kilrea Gravestone Inscriptions. Posted to Richard Torrens' Bann Valley Genealogy web site, online at: torrens.org.uk/Genealogy

Link to biographical sketch of the Rev. John Smyth, including a letter to the editor of the South Australian Chronicle (1893) by one of his descendants, Thomas Ekin Smyth.
John Crockett, of Drumnaconnor [Drumnacanon], deponed to the Rev. James Spencer Knox, that the rector of the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly, the Rev. William Napper, had made unorthodox statements.
PRONI, ref. D683/324; index entry per online catalogue, www.proni.gov.uk (accessed 2015-01-20).
Great storm and considerable destruction of property, particularly in the neighbourhood of Dublin.
Walford (1879).
The Boveedy Presbyterian Moral Society was established. "The society met twice a month in different houses. The Bible and other pious works were read."
Account of Boveedy written by James McIlfatrick; cited in The Fairy Thorn Revisited (1996), pg. 128.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
The population of the town of Kilrea was 973. There were three surgeons, thirteen publicans, four general shopkeepers and traders, one each of land surveyor, baker, leather cutter, wheelwright, watch & clock maker, postmaster, and two woollendrapers. "The mails went by Portglenone to Belfast and Dublin, and by Donaghadee for Scotland. There was also a mail that went to Coleraine at five o'clock in the morning. There was at thiis time no coach calling at Kilrea, the nearest being that which passed through Ballymoney from Belfast, and another through Garvagh."
Kernohan (1912), pg. 45.

Link to description of the town of Kilrea, in Pigot & Co.'s 1824 directory.
The agent for the Mercers' Company was Major David Stark.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 20.
Pigot (1824), pg. 390.
"The House of Commons agreed to an address for a Commission of Inquiry into the educational institutions of Ireland, maintained wholly or in part by public funds. The inquiry was also to include the parochial schools, and the Diocesan Free Schools, and the Commissioners were directed to recommend a plan of education for all classes in Ireland."--Royal Commission, Schools in Ireland, 1824-1827. Returns were completed by the rector and the parish priest of each parish. In Kilrea, while there were sixteen schools in the the area, many were in poor condition.
Endowed Schools Commission (1858), pg. 22.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pp. 47-48.
Lislea Parish School was established; 35 Established Church, 78 Presbyterian, 7 Roman Catholic, and 16 "other" pupils.
The Fairy Thorn Revisited (1996), pg. 75.
James Courtnay, Esq., gave up the bleach green at Clady.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.

Note: The bleach green was occupied by David Cunningham, of Castledawson, in 1836.
After a vacancy of a few years, the Rev. Hugh Walker Rodgers was ordained on the 12th April, 1825. Under his ministry at 1st Kilrea Presbyterian, "religious and moral advance in the whole community was apparent during the whole of Mr. Rodgers' ministry. He ably seconded the efforts of the Mercers' Company at improvement when they resumed the management of the estate. He interested himself largely in social reform, and his influence as exerted in reducing the number of early marriages by requiring the consent of the parents in every instance. To keep pace with the growing disposition for reading and education generally, Reading Societies were formed in connection with the congregation. They met at stated times, and some of them subscribed for the purchase of books. There were eight of these societies in the two parishes. Mr. Rodgers was also librarian of the Library founded in Kilrea by the Company at his suggestion." "The Sunday School met twice on Sundays 7-9 a.m. and from 6-8 p.m."
Kernohan (1912), pp. 40-41.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pp. 69, 72.
Jane Lowry was charged for taking a spade out of the shop of John O'Regan, of Kilrea; a verdict of not guilty was returned at the Londonderry Assizes in September.
Enniskillen Chronicle, 2 September 1824.
Link to transcription.
The church at Greenlough was remodelled and slated by the Rev. Dr. John McRory (or Rodgers). Dr. McRory also extended the graveyard.
Parish of Greenlough (2006).
Tamlaght O'Crilly: Greenlough, www.greenlough.com
The Rev. George Hill wrote, "About the year 1825, the writer happened to be in Tamlaght-O'Crilly, and was present at a rustic meeting on mid-summer eve, where several boys and young men attended, who wore no coverings on either their heads or feet, but who knew Latin well, and could translate, and make sensible comments on Virgil and Horace, with astounding ease and freedom."
Hill (1877), pg. 170.
Eden London Hibernian Society school was established, in the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly; 37 Established Church, 27 Presbyterian, 51 Roman Catholic, and 56 "other" pupils.
The Fairy Thorn Revisited (1996), pg. 76.
Henry Ellis, Esq. built Inisrush House, parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly, on the road from Garvagh to Portglenone. The estate included an expansive lawn, a farm, and a native wood of oak trees and hazel.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
Sarah Craig was prosecuted for stealing a bank note, value £1, from Samuel Boyd, of Lismoyle, at Kilrea fair; verdict, not guilty. The case was not heard at the Londonderry Assizes until April, 1827.
Enniskillen Chronicle, 12 April 1827.
Link to transcription.
Boveedy London Hibernian Society school was established; 20 Established Church, 12 Presbyterians, and 58 "other" pupils. Also, the Lisnagrot London H.S. school; 20 E.C., 12 Presbyterian, and 28 R.C. pupils. Both within the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly.
The Fairy Thorn Revisited (1996), pg. 76.
Death of David Stark, J.P., Kilrea, Major of the Londonderry Militia, and agent to Alexander Stewart, the landlord of the Mercers' proportion. Of Mr. Stark, Kernohan wrote: "This gentleman had a summary way of dealing with offenders. When the streets were long of clearing on a fair evening the gallant Major would step out, and with a liberal use of horse whip make his presence felt and the offenders scarce."
Kernohan (1912), pg. 47.
PRONI, Pre-1858 Wills and Admons: Probate 1826; Will & Grant of Admin., T/1009/304 (1838), per online search facility, www.proni.gov.uk (accessed 2015-01-20); needs to be corroborated to source document.
By Act of Parliament, 6th Geo. IV, cap. 99, Surveyors were appointed to ascertain, and mark out the reputed boundaries of the several baronies, half baronies, parishes, and townlands in the several districts, previously to their being surveyed by the Ordnance Officers. Charles Stewart was the Surveyor of Dungiven district, which included the parish of Kilrea.
Drogheda Journal, 11 January 1826.
Link to transcription.
Famine, owing to failures in the oat, hay, and potato crops, accompanied by epidemic typhus all over Ireland, but particularly severe in Dublin, Cork, and Kilkenny.
Ryan (1832), pg. 400.
History of Famines in Ireland (1856), pg. 1036.
The Rev. James Smyth received a call from the Presbyterian congregation of Drimbolg, parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly, which he accepted. He was ordained there on the 26th June.
Reformed Presbyterian (1858), pp. 161-2.

Link to obituary for the Rev. James Smyth.
Trinaltinagh School was run by a Master May.
Kernohan (1912), pg. 67. Noted under his chapter about the Boveedy Presbyterian congregation.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 56.
A Male and Female school was established in a thatched dwelling on Coleraine street in Kilrea, with John McDougall as schoolmaster.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 45.
Drumoolish London Hibernian Society school was established; 10 Established Church, 139 Presbyterian, 1 Roman Catholic, and 6 "other" pupils. Also, Inisrush London H.S. school; 12 E.C., 15 Presbyterian, 6 R.C., and 7 "other" pupils. Both schools were situated within the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly.
The Fairy Thorn Revisited (1996), pg. 76.
The streets of the town of Kilrea were paved by a county presentment to the grand jury.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
Peaceful Orange processions in Portglenone, Kilrea, and Bellaghy.
Dublin Evening Mail, 21 July 1828.
Link to transcription.
Formation of Brunswick Club in Kilrea.
Morning Post, 10 December 1828.
Dublin Evening Packet, 6 Dec. 1828.
(1) Erection of the water pump in the centre of the Diamond of the town of Kilrea, at the expense of the inhabitants, £90.
Compare with:
(2) The cost was borne by the Mercers' Company, though water consumption was charged back to the users. "Householders paid one shilling per quarter, publicans one shilling and three pence and hotel proprietors five shillings. The man at the pump was paid seven shillings weekly."
(1) Kernohan (1912), pg. 46.
(2) The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 29.
The townlands of Gortmacrane and Drumnacannon, in the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly, were put up for sale. Charles M'Alister, who resided at Tamlaght, would shew the Premises.
Belfast News-Letter, 27 February 1829.
Link to transcription.
A Petition from the Protestants of Kilrea, was presented to the House of Commons, to protest against any further concessions to the Roman Catholics. The first name attached to the petition was that of the justice of the peace resident in the district; and the second name was that of the Protestant clergyman the Rev. John Waddy, who had since asserted that his name, as attached to the petition, was a forgery. A committee was appointed to inquire into the facts stated, and to report to the house on a future day.
London Standard, 1 April 1829.
Link to transcription.
The Roman Catholic Relief Act was passed by Parliament.

Four ruffians, reputed to be Brunswickers, attacked the house of an innkeeper in Kilrea.
Limerick Evening Post, 21 April 1829.
Link to transcription.
Under Father Samuel Oterson [Auterson], the church at Drumagarner was rebuilt at a site just west of the old church. "The Mercers' Company contributed £200 to the erection of the church. ... When the new church was completed, the graveyard was extended and the stones of the old church used to build the surrounding wall."
Research by Mrs. Kathleen Gillen; cited in The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 83.

Note: This timeline may not be copied, transmitted, or reproduced for profit or for gain--in whole or in part--in any medium, including web sites that ask for donations, feature advertisements, or link directly or indirectly to any commercial concern. Please use our Contact page to forward questions about usage, or suggestions for inclusion.

  • Day, Angélique, and Patrick McWilliams, eds. Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland. Vol. XVIII. Parishes of County Londonderry V, 1830, 1833, 1836-7. Maghera and Tamlaght O'Crilly. Belfast: The Institute of Irish Studies, The Queen's University of Belfast, in association with The Royal Irish Academy, Dublin, 1993.
  • Day, Angélique, and Patrick McWilliams, eds. Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland. Vol. XXVII. Parishes of County Londonderry VIII, 1830, 1833-7, 1839. East Londonderry. Belfast: The Institute of Irish Studies, The Queen's University of Belfast, in association with The Royal Irish Academy, Dublin, 1994.
  • Evans, Helen, and Pauline O'Keefe, transcribers. Kilrea First Presbyterian Church Records: Gravestone Inscriptions. Posted to Richard Torrens' Bann Valley Genealogy web site, online at: torrens.org.uk/Genealogy/BannValley/church/KilreaP1/graveyard.html
  • Great Britain, House of Commons. "Population in Ireland: 1821 and 1831." Selection of Reports and Papers of the House of Commons, Vol. LVI, Population (1836).
  • Great Britain, House of Lords and House of Commons. Endowed Schools, Ireland, Commission. Dublin: Alex. Thom & Sons (1858).
  • Hill, George. An Historical Account of the Plantation in Ulster at the Commencement of the Seventeenth Century, 1608-1620. Belfast: M'Caw, Stevenson & Orr, 1877.
  • Kilrea Local History Group. The Fairy Thorn: Gleanings and Glimpses of Old Kilrea; published by The Kilrea Local History Group. Coleraine: Impact Printing, 1984.
  • Kilrea Local History Group. The Fairy Thorn Revisited: More Gleanings and Glimpses of Old Kilrea, published by The Kilrea Local History Group. Coleraine, and Ballycastle, 1996.
  • Kernohan, J.W. The Parishes of Kilrea and Tamlaght O'Crilly: A Sketch of Their History, With an Account of Boveedy Congregation. Coleraine: Chronicle Office, 1912. Transcribed by Barbara Braswell and Richard Torrens; posted to Richard Torrens' Bann Valley Genealogy web site, www.torrens.org.uk/Genealogy/Bann Valley/
  • Maguire, John Francis. Father Mathew: A Biography. London: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts, & Green, 1863.
  • Pigot & Co.'s Provincial Directory of Ireland (1824).
  • Ryan, Michael, ed. "Principal Epidemic Diseases of Ireland." The London Medical and Surgical Journal, Vol. I. London: Renshaw and Rush, 1832.
  • Sagart, Art. P. O'Raghallaigh. The Parish of Greenlough/Tamlaght O'Crilly: A Brief History (pub. 2006). Online at www.69thpa.co.uk/tamlaghtpdf.pdf (accessed 2015-01-17).
  • Tamlaght O'Crilly: Greenlough. "Our Parish History." http://www.greenlough.com/our-parish/our-parish-history/ (accessed 2015-01-25ff)
  • "The History of Famines in Ireland." The Economist (Sept. 20, 1856), pp. 1035-6.
  • The Reformed Presbyterian and Covenanter. [Obituary of the Rev. James Smyth, of Drimbolg.] Vol. XIII (May, 1858), pp. 161-2.
  • Walford, Cornelius. The Famines of the World: Past and Present. London: Edward Stanford, 1879.
© Alison Kilpatrick 2015