Logo and web site
Latest Additions

Timeline for the parishes of Kilrea & Tamlaght O'Crilly, 1830–1834.

Please refer to Note and References at bottom of page.
Return to Kilrea & Tamlaght O'Crilly timeline front page.

Sources; Comments; Links
Under Father Samuel Oterson, the church at Drumagarner was rebuilt at a site just west of the old church. "The Mercers' Company contributed £200 to the erection of the church. ... When the new church was completed, the graveyard was extended and the stones of the old church used to build the surrounding wall." Research by Mrs. Kathleen Gillen; cited in The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 83.
Within the bounds of the Rev. Adam Boyle's congregation at Boveedy, "In Trinaltinagh School a Reading and Debating Society was conducted much on the same lines as a branch of The Young People's Guild of today [1912]. It was also a Temperance Society, and met once a month. ... There was a similar Society at Crossland. As a result of such meetings there was a great improvement in the religious and moral education of the people."
Kernohan (1912), pp. 62-3.
Gortmacrane school was established; situated one mile from Kilrea; income from Langford Rowley, Esq. £4, and from pupils, £5; catechism of various churches taught; 66 pupils; schoolmaster, James O'Kane, a Roman Catholic.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 57.
Tyanee National School was established in the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly; 34 Roman Catholic pupils.
The Fairy Thorn Revisited (1996), pg. 76.
A company of swindlers was going through the country, using fraudulent weights in the barter of silks and calicoes for feathers.
Belfast News-Letter, 12 January 1830.
Link to transcription.
The incumbent of the parish of Kilrea (Church of Ireland) was the Rev. J. Waddy. The country was "thickly inhabited," the country people occupying very small acreages, "seldom more than 6 or 8 acres," let at very high rates, and on which were grown crops of potatoes, flax, oats, and wheat. "The post and market town of Kilrea has a weekly market, every second one of which is also a linen market, and eight fairs during the year." The manufacture of linen cloth, though carried on extensively throughout the parish, had diminished in recent years owing to declines in price, creating economic distress amongst the flax growers, scutchers, spinners, and weavers. There were extensive eel weirs at Portna, and abundant fishing for salmon, pike, and trout in the river Bann. Statistical Account by Lieut. George Dalton (May, 1830), Ordnance Survey Memoirs.

Note: The eel fishery at Portna was held under lease from the Marquis of Donegall.
The principal villages in the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly were Tamlaght (Churchtown), Inisrush, and Glenone, the latter of which lies on the west side of the Bann, opposite the town of Portglenone. The inhabitants frequented the markets and fairs in the towns of Kilrea and Portglenone, and to a lesser extent, in Maghera. Linen cloth was produced throughout the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly, but demand, and consequently, the industry had declined in recent years, leaving "the poor in a very distressed state." The country people occupied very small acreages, "seldom more than 6 or 8 acres," growing potatoes, flax, oats, and wheat.
Statistical Account by Lieut. George Dalton (May, 1830), Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
The Rev. James Smyth organized the Tamlaght O'Crilly Temperance Society, No. 1.
The Temperance Advocate, Vol. 1, pg. 96.
Link to transcription of letter by Rev. Mr. Smyth.
The Orangemen from Kilrea, Tamlaght, Castledawson, Tobermore, Curran, Portglenone, &c., were to assemble near Bellaghy. On the morning of the 12th, at a point between Bellaghy and Maghera, the local Magistrates and two companies of the 64th Regiment of Foot managed to keep parties of Orangemen and Ribbonmen apart during the day. However, later, a clash occurred involving the Orangemen of Bellaghy, who were on their way home. On their way to rendering them assistance, the Orangemen of Maghera met a party of Magistrates, who convinced them to give up their arms in return for safe escort to Castledawson--where they were made prisoners, to bail in £10 each, to take their trial at the Magherafelt petty sessions.
Belfast News-Letter, 20 July 1830.
Link to transcription.
At the Londonderry Assizes, Bernard M'Namee was prosecuted for stabbing John Hegarty, of Kilrea, with a fork; not guilty.
Belfast News-Letter, 20 August 1830.
Link to transcription.
Armed assault on the houses of Henry Mackerlane, Daniel Crilly, and Peter M'Eldowney, and on the persons of Mr. Muckerlane and Mr. Crilly, living within two miles of Kilrea. The aggrieved parties lodged their complaints with the magistrates at petty sessions in Kilrea.
Freeman's Journal, 23 December 1830.
Link to transcription.
The Rev. William Napper organized the Tamlaght O'Crilly Temperance Society, No. 2.
The Temperance Advocate, Vol. 1, pp. 35-36.
Link to transcription of letter by Rev. Mr. Napper, who remarked also on the "present awful visitation of Cholera Morbus."
The Mercers' Company kept a small library over the agent's office, for the use of the tenantry. "The books were exchanged monthly, the Rev. H.W. Rodgers acting as Hon. Librarian."
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 44.
Miss S. Simpson was the principal of Kilrea Girls' School.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 48.
Moneygran school was established in a thatched house, with support from the Mercers' Company and the London Hibernian Society. The schoolmistress was Susan Hegarty, a Roman Catholic.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 57.
The Mercers' Company claimed to have spent £300,000 on the estate.
Kernohan (1912), pg. 48.
Link to table of expenditures, submitted by Mr. Watney to the Committee on Irish Society and London Companies (Irish Estates), 7 July 1890.
"There were two fairs in Kilrea each month. The 'Big Fair' was held on the second Wednesday, and the 'Wee Fair' on the fourth Wednesday. The 'Big Fair' was a horse and cattle fair, the 'Wee Fair' being for cattle and sheep only. The other Wednesdays were known as market days."
The Fairy Thorn Revisited (1996), pg. 35.
(1) Famine; Parliament granted £40,000 for relief; £74,410 subscriptions in England.
which calamity seems not to have affected Ulster particularly:
(2) "In 1831, violent storms and heavy rains brought upon the west of Ireland another failure of the potato, with its usual accompaniments of famine and pestilence. The distress principally affected the coasts of Galway, Mayo, and Donegal; but it was partially felt in other districts. On this occasion the potato had failed in the ground, and the pressure was felt as early as the First-month of 1832."
(1) Walford (1879).
(2) Society of Friends (1852), pg. 28.
(1) The population of the town of Kilrea was 1,215, occupying 191 houses (up from 973, and 110, in 1821). The population of the parish of Kilrea was 1,783 males and 1,911 females, total 3,694 (up from 1,821 in 1821), occupying 670 houses.
(2) The increase in population may have been due to the strength of the linen industry. Farmers grew the flax, and farming households had spinning wheels and looms.
(1) Kernohan (1912), pg. 45.
(2) The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 20.

Note: The 1836 return to the House of Commons cited a combined population of 4,262 for the parish and town of Kilrea.
The population of the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly was 9,442; of Glenone, 278; Innishrush, 161; and Tamlaght, 188; for a combined population of 10,069.
Population in Ireland, 1821 & 1831 (pg. 35).
Killygullib London Hibernian Society school was established; 13 Established Church (E.C.), 27 Presbyterian, 19 Roman Catholic, and 13 "other" pupils. Also, Tyanee London H.S. school, with 14 E.C., 14 Presbyterian, and 2 "other" pupils. Both schools were situated within the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly.
The Fairy Thorn Revisited (1996), pg. 76.
A Temperance Society was established at Boveedy, the Rev. Adam Boyle, President. Meetings were held in the Seceding Meeting House. The society had a membership of 79 people, of all denominations.
Account of Boveedy written by James McIlfatrick; cited in The Fairy Thorn Revisited (1996), pg. 128.
Colonel Power inspected the Yeomanry Corps of county Derry. The corps at Kilrea numbered 100 men under Captain Gibson; at Maghera, 100 men under Captain Clarke; at Magherafelt, 240 men in three corps, under Captains Patterson and Hill. The total number of men in the Yeomanry Corps in county Derry was 1,850. The Corps of the counties Fermanagh, Monaghan, Downshire, and Derry, numbered 12,050 men.
Belfast News-Letter, 25 January 1831.
A temperance meeting was held in the parish church of Tamlaght O'Crilly. The anniversary of another flourishing society was lately held in the Meeting-house of Drumbolg.
Belfast News-Letter, 26 August 1831.
Link to transcription.
Death of Alexander Stewart, Esq., brother to the Marquis of Londonderry, and landlord of the Mercers' Company's estate.
Preston Chronicle, 17 September 1831.
Link to transcription.
(1) The Kilrea Estate reverted to the immediate possession of the Worshipful Company of Mercers, London. The Company expressed their wishes on the subject of industry, christian charity, and forbearance, in an Address, delivered to the Tenantry. Great hopes were entertained of the Company's intentions to promote every benevolent object connected with the welfare of the tenantry. In November, the Company donated 400 bales of blankets to the poor of the estate. (Belfast News-Letter; see links, right.)
(2) The last of the lives expired on the lease held by Mr. Stewart from the Mercers' Company. The Mercers "found the land of the estate in a wretched condition, and the tenantry in a hopeless state of insolvency owing to the rackrents imposed on them by the middle-
man, Stewart. … [D]uring the tenancy of Stewart such was the miserable condition of the tenantry that the girls living on adjoining properties would not marry with the boys on the Mercers', because they said they would be going home to poverty. … The Mercers' purchased from the heirs of Stewart the arrears of rent due to them by the tenantry, and swept the same away on receiving from the tenantry 5s. in the pound. The Mercers', on resuming possession of their estate, reduced the rental of £10,443 to £8,498, or 19 per cent. nearly." (Robert Stuart, of Kilrea, to the City of London Livery Companies' Commission, 1884.)

(1) Belfast News-Letter:
BNL, 27 September 1831 (possession reverted)
BNL, 4 Oct. 1831 (deputation of the Company)
BNL, 25 Nov. 1831 (donation of blankets)
BNL, 6 Dec. 1831 (more blankets donated)

(2) Statement by Robert Stuart, of Kilrea; handed in by Mr. Firth to the City of London Livery Companies' Commission, Report and Appendix, Vol. I (London: Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1884). Link to transcription.
Then Chief Secretary for Ireland, Lord Stanley addressed a letter to the Duke of Leinster, establishing the principles and instructions for the establishment of a System of National Education (National Schools) in Ireland. In the following session of Parliament, "the Legislature withdrew the grant from the Kildare-place Society, and voted a small sum to be applied through a Board of Royal Commissioners, under certain regulations prescribed in the 'Instructions,' to the uses of these schools.
  "These regulations required for the establishing a 'National School;' 1. That there should be a joint application from the Protestants and Roman Catholics of the district. 2. That there should be a local contribution of at least one-third, for the building of the school and the salary of the teacher. 3. That the schoolhouse, when finished, should be vested in trustees appointed by the Board. 4. That a fund sufficient for the annual repairs of the schoolhouse and furniture, and for the permanent salary of the master, not less than [blank], and for the purchase of books and school requisites at half-price should be provided. 5. That persons applying for aid be allowed to appoint their own teachers, but subject to the following conditons; viz. he shall be liable to be fined, suspended, or removed altogether by authority of the Commissioners, who shall however record their decisions; he shall receive instruction in a model school in Dublin, to be sanctioned by the Board; he shall hold testimonials of good conduct and of general fitness for the situation from the Board. 6. That the Board should exercise a complete control over the various schools placed under its auspices.
  "These schools are open to all sects of Christians, and it is as much as possible intended to unite in them pupils of different religious denominations. With this view, the special religious instruction is given apart. By a recent regulation, a Bible class may be established in any school, but Roman Catholic pupils are permitted to absent themselves, in case their parents object to their attendance."
Wyse (1845), pg. 85.
Hamilton Johnson, Esq., was appointed Second Captain, Kilrea corps of Yeomanry, vice Harper, removed.
Belfast New-Letter, 24 May 1831.
(1) The hotel in the Diamond, Kilrea, previously held by William Adcock, was converted into a hotel, "at the expense of the Mercers' Company at a cost of £800." Mr. Adcock "held it rent free and … there was ample accommodation for seven gentlemen."
(2) Under the same roof there was an office for the agent and magistrates, with rooms overhead for the company bailiff. There was another room also fitted up in a temporary manner for a dispensary, until a new one would be built, as was contemplated by the Mercers' Company.
(1) The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 88.
(2) Ordnance Survey Memoirs.

Note: The Mercers' accounting, in 1890, of expenditures on the estate, shows that £504 14s. 9d. were applied to Kilrea Hotel between 1841-1850, a further £359 8s. 7d. between 1851-1860, and a total of £1,303 1s. 1d. between 1831-1880. Link to table.
(1) The Mercers' Company provided funds to establish dispensaries in Kilrea (opened 1832), Swatragh, and Tamlaght O'Crilly.
(2) The Mercers' dispensary was established in 1832 for the benefit of the poor of the Kilrea proportion, at the expense of the Mercers' Company, superintended by William Henry Holmes, Esq. The dispensary was open on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday each week, from 9 till 11 o'clock a.m.
(1) The Fairy Thorn Revisited (1996), pg. 57.
(2) Ordnance Survey Memoirs.

Notes: (i)
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 70, cites the year, 1833, as that in which Mr. Holmes commenced his duties as agent of the estate.
(ii) The Mercers' accounting, in 1890, of expenditures on the estate, show that £1,910 3s. 7d. were expended on dispensaries between 1831-1841. The Company spent an average of £185 per annum on this line between 1831-1880.
Link to table.
Second Kilrea Presbyterian Church had been meeting in a linen cloth sealing-room in Bridge Street. "In 1832 it was received under the care of the Secession Synod."
Kernohan (1912), pg. 43.
Drumagarner London Hibernian school was established; the school was situated half a mile from Kilrea; no catechism taught; 61 pupils; schoolmaster, Joe Reid, a Presbyterian.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 57.
The following schools were established in the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly: Killymuck London Hibernian Society school, with 6 Established Church (E.C.), 50 Presbyterian, 18 Roman Catholic (R.C.), and 28 "other" pupils; Lismoyle London H.S. school, with 16 Presbyterian, 2 R.C., and 46 "other" pupils; and, Tivaconway London H.S. school, with 24 E.C., 12 Presbyterian, and 15 R.C. pupils.
The Fairy Thorn Revisited (1996), pg. 76.
A Congregational Society was established in the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly, including a juvenile association.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
The Party Procession Act was passed (2nd & 3rd William IV, cap. 118); also called, the Anti-Procession Act.
From The History of Orangeism (1882), pg. 82: "It did not require Mr. Stanley's Anti-Procession Act of 1832 to make Orange processions illegal. At common law they had again and again been declared so. But common law failing, statue law was resorted to with a no more salutary effect."
The new Presbyterian Meeting-house at Rasharkin was opened for divine worship.
Belfast News-Letter, 15 May 1832.
Link to transcription.
Four petitions against the Government plan of education in Ireland were submitted to the House of Commons from parishes and Presbyterian congregations in the north of Ireland. The Petitions, with another to the same effect from Kilrea, in the county of Londonderry, were ordered to be printed.
The Morning Post, 20 June 1832.
Murder of Arthur Henry, of the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly, on his way home from Bellaghy fair. Mr. Henry left a family of wife and seven children to deplore his loss.
Northern Whig, 11 June 1832.
Link to transcription.
The Rev. James Graham preached a sermon in the parish church of Tamlaght O'Crilly. A collection, amounting to £3 12s. 6d. was made in aid of the funds of the London Hibernian Society for establishing Scriptural Schools, and distributing the Holy Scriptures in Ireland.
Belfast News-Letter, 3 August 1832.
Link to transcription.
The Orangemen of Kilrea district celebrated the anniversary of the Gunpowder Plot. The Rev. John Graham read Divine Service, after which an open lodge was held in the district rooms, with Alexander Stewart, in the chair.
Westmeath Journal, 15 November 1832.
Link to transcription.
On the 26th July 1833, at the county of Antrim assizes, Hugh Stewart, of Kilrea, and John Blair were prosecuted for a vicious assault on John Elder, at Culmore, committed on the 16th November 1832. John Elder lived in the parish of Rasharkin. Verdict, not guilty.
Belfast News-Letter, 30 July 1833.
Link to transcription.
A sermon was preached in the Presbyterian meeting-house, Kilrea, by the Rev. Robert Stewart, of Broughshane, county Antrim, in aid of the funds of the Kilrea Sunday School Union.
Belfast News-Letter, 4 December 1832.
Link to transcription.
The Mercers' Company built Kilrea Corn Mill, appointing Alexander Craig as the new proprietor. An earlier mill, owned by George Smyrll, had burnt down in 1745.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 165.

Note: The Mercers' accounting, in 1890, of expenditures on the estate, show that £1,507 7s. 10d. was spent on Kilrea Corn Mill between 1831-1841. Link to table.
The first appearance of Asiatic cholera, or Cholera morbus, in Ireland was the terrible epidemic in 1832 and 1833.
Parliamentary Papers (1843), pg. xxi.
Parliamentary Papers (1874), pg. xlvii.
In the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly, the landlord [Langford Heyland] built a house in Tamlaght, of stone and brick, with garret rooms, to serve as a rent receiver's office and residence.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
A society of Reformed Presbyterians or Covenanters held meetings in Drumbolg, "for religious conversation and prayer." In 1833, an auxiliary missionary society was formed at the Reformed Presbyterian meeting-house in Drumbolg, parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly; the Rev. Mr. Smyth, president; Alexander Christie, of Tobermore, secretary and treasurer. Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
Arrest and confinement of the "Gentlemen Beggars"--James Patterson, of Kilrea, in the gaol of Drogheda. Patterson, alias James Richardson, with one Alex. M'Donald, had been soliciting alms to decide a bet, by which the Irish poor were to receive £12,500. Patterson claimed to have a wife and family in Kilrea. M'Donald, alias Pelham, was later reported to be a Kilrea man, but was probably a Scot. A long, and amusing, account of the trial, held at Cardiff, was published in the 15th March 1833 edition of the Belfast News-Letter: the accused were described as James Richardson, labourer, aged 30, and Alexander M'Donnell, surgeon, aged 23, with no reference made to the place of birth of either man. Suffice to say, that the "gentlemen beggars" were sentenced to seven years' transportation.
Drogheda Journal, 19 January 1833.
Drogheda Journal, 22 January 1833.
Morning Post, 29 January 1833.
Drogheda Journal, 5 February 1833.
Drogheda Journal, 9 March 1833.
Worcester Journal, 14 March 1833.
Belfast News-Letter, 15 March 1833.
Northern Whig, 18 March 1833.

Mr. Patterson's unique mode of enterprise seems not to have ended here. For a later caper involving James Paterson, of Kilrea, see the entry under 1845-09-01, "
James Paterson, alias James Richardson, of Kilrea..."
William H. Holmes, agent of the Mercers' Company, announced that the Company intended to confer £25 a year on the Rev. Hugh Walker Rodgers, Presbyterian Minister of Kilrea, and on "several other clergymen, of various denominations, connected with the Kilrea estate."
Belfast News-Letter, 26 March 1833.
Link to transcription.
The first minister of 2nd Kilrea Presbyterian, the Rev. James McCammon, was ordained.
Kernohan (1912), pg. 43.
Belfast News-Letter, 2 July 1833.
Link to transcription.
Advertisement placed in the News-Letter by John M'Kinny, for the sale of the Flax Mill, Dwelling, and Land, in Moneygran townland, parish of Kilrea, "For the Repayment of the improvements made thereon by the occupying Tenants."
Belfast News-Letter, 8 October 1833.
Link to transcription.
See also entry under 1817-1833, "Erection of flax-mill..."
Bernard M'Cahan was murdered near Kilrea. Patrick M'Daid was tried on the 15th March 1836.
Enniskillen Chronicle, 24 March 1836 (trial)
Link to transcription.

A Royal Commission was issued to inquire into the "condition of the poorer classes in Ireland, and into the various institutions at present established by law for their relief," and "whether any and what further remedial measures appear to be requisite to ameliorate the condition of the Irish poor or any portion of them."
Poor Law Union and Lunacy Inquiry, Ireland (1879), pg. iii.

See entry under, 1835-07-08, "The First Report from his Majesty's Commissioners..."
A sermon was preached in the Presbyterian Meeting-house, Kilrea, by the Rev. David Hamilton, of Connor, in aid of the funds of Kilrea Sunday School Union.
Belfast News-Letter, 12 November 1833.
Link to transcription.
The wife of Dr. Ferrier, of Kilrea, died, "the supposed effect of a mother's unavailing sorrow," her daughter, Elizabeth, having died of rapid consumption on the 7th October, and her son, Robert, on the 14th, suddenly, of inflammation of the brain.
Belfast News-Letter, 12 November 1833.
Link to transcription.
Construction of the church building for 2nd Kilrea Presbyterian proceeded under the Rev. Mr. McCammon. The total cost was £448 14s 4d., of which the Mercers' Company paid £50. A debt remained of £200, of which the Mercers' liquidated £150.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 74.
  "In the whole parish of Kilrea the inhabitants were classed in 1834 as: Episcopalians, 773; Presbyterians, 1,583; Roman Catholics, 2078. …
"In Tamlaght [O'Crilly] parish the Presbyterians numbered 3,650 in 1834, and the Episcopalians 1,538. … In the whole parish of Tamlaght there were in 1834, 2,787 Presbyterians, 865 Seceders, 1,538 Episcopalians, and 4,735 Roman Catholics."
Kernohan (1912), pp. 37, 45, 67.
The Timaconway Presbyterian Religious Society was established.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
Sixteen houses in Bridge-street, Kilrea, were pulled down by the Mercers' Company.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
The Mercers' Company presented a barrel organ, which cost £85, to the parish church of Kilrea (Church of Ireland).
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
(1) A schoolhouse was erected at Boveedy, by public subscription.
(2) The schoolhouse was erected near Boveedy Presbyterian Church. "Andrew Orr, a Co. Down landowner who also owned the townland of Boveedy, gave £35, the rector gave £4, the Rev. Adam Boyle £1 and the surrounding farmers gave £8."
(1) Kernohan (1912), pg. 67.
(2) The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 56; Ordnance Survey Memoirs.
Drumagarner Private school was established; situated one mile from Kilrea; Roman Catholic catechism taught; 28 pupils; schoolmistress: Miss Mary McCotter, a Roman Catholic.
Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 57.
Thirty-seven people emigrated from the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly in the year, 1834: five to Québec, five to St John's [sic], and twenty-seven to New York.
Ordnance Survey Memoirs.

Note: The newspapers and other contemporary publications often made the mistake of misnaming the city of St. John (no apostrophe), New Brunswick, as St. John's. There is, however, a city called St. John's, in Newfoundland.
At the Derry Assizes, Bernard M'Keig was indicted for the murder of John Stewart, at Lismoyle, on the 12th September, 1824. The jury acquitted Mr. M'Keid of the charge.
Northern Whig, 3 April 1834.
1834-07-08 The annual meeting of the Reformed Presbyterian Synod in Ireland was held at Moneymore. The Rev. James Smyth, of Drumbolg, was appointed Moderator for the ensuing year. The Orthodox Presbyterian (1834), pg. 375.
1834-07-12 A number of men were indicted at the Londonderry Assizes, held July 31, for being in Orange processions in various towns in the county. Amongst these were Richard Stark, and three others, who were arraigned, for having joined in a procession at Kilrea, and traversed in prox.
Northern Whig, 7 August 1834.
Roscommon Journal, 8 August 1834.
Link to transcription.
Kilrea Sunday School.--The Rev. John Brown, of Aghadowey, preached in the Kilrea meeting-house, on behalf of the Sabbath School. The collection amounted to £8 7s. 6d. The Presbyterian congregation of Kilrea feel much indebted to several neighbouring gentlemen who, though not members of their church, co-operated with them as collectors, and liberally contributed to the funds on the occasion of the annual Sabbath School sermon.
Belfast News-Letter, 7 October 1834.
Link to transcription.
"A numerous meeting assembled" in Kilrea, to form an Auxiliary Branch of the London Hibernian Society in Kilrea.
Belfast News-Letter, 21 November 1834.
Link to transcription.
The Rev. Maiben C. Motherwell, Curate Assistant of Tamlaght O'Crilly, wrote a letter to the editor of the BNL regarding the London Hibernian Society. Rev. Mr. Motherwell put himself forward as an advocate of the London Hibernian Society, and made observations upon a letter written by the Rev. Alex. Patterson to the Rev. Daniel Bagot, "animadverting upon some expressions made by that gentleman [Bagot] at a meeting of the London Hibernian Society."
Belfast News-Letter, 9 December 1934.
Link to transcription.

Another, lengthy letter to the editor, also written by the Rev. M.C. Motherwell, was published in the 26 December 1834 edition of the BNL.
"The consumption of drink in Kilrea and district was so great that praiseworthy efforts were made by the Company's agent to mitigate the evil. Rewards were held out to induce traders to give up the sale of liquor. In one year 3,357 gallons were received by permit and consumed in the spirit shops of Kilrea, the customers being drawn from a district of several miles round. It was calculated that in a year £6,934 was spent on drink, and £1,000 more if beer, ale, rum, and 'fruit wines for promised men' were included. The whole rent of the estate was not much more."
Kernohan (1912), pp. 47-48.
Until the decline in the trade, "Kilrea enjoyed its fair share of the principal industry of the county, the manufacture of linen. On a farm the flax grower, the spinner, weaver, and seller might be found in one family, women and girls finding suitable employment, while the men could also work the farm. The merchant purchased the web, and after bleaching and finishing exported it. ... [T]he busy scene on market days when there were many buyers and hundreds of weavers doing business, was pleasant to behold; and the long queue of carts laden with flax 'reaching away down the Moneygran road' is spoken of with wistful regret.'
Kernohan (1912), pg. 49.
before 1835
Before the Library was instituted, the room in the Town Hall was used for sealing the linen webs that were brought to market.
The Fairy Thorn (1984), pg. 44.

Note: This timeline may not be copied, transmitted, or reproduced for profit or for gain--in whole or in part--in any medium, including web sites that ask for donations, feature advertisements, or link directly or indirectly to any commercial concern. Please use our Contact page to forward questions about usage, or suggestions for inclusion.

  • Day, Angélique, and Patrick McWilliams, eds. Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland. Vol. XVIII. Parishes of County Londonderry V, 1830, 1833, 1836-7. Maghera and Tamlaght O'Crilly. Belfast: The Institute of Irish Studies, The Queen's University of Belfast, in association with The Royal Irish Academy, Dublin, 1993.
  • Day, Angélique, and Patrick McWilliams, eds. Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland. Vol. XXVII. Parishes of County Londonderry VIII, 1830, 1833-7, 1839. East Londonderry. Belfast: The Institute of Irish Studies, The Queen's University of Belfast, in association with The Royal Irish Academy, Dublin, 1994.
  • Great Britain, House of Commons. Appendix, No. 31. "Paper handed in by Mr. Watney, 7 July 1890." Report from the Select Committee on Irish Society and London Companies (Irish Estates). London: Henry Hansard and Son, 1890.
  • Great Britain, House of Commons. Parliamentary Papers, Accounts and Papers, Eighteen Volumes, (13.), Population (Ireland). Session 2 February - 24 August 1843. Vol. XXIV. Report of the Commissioners appointed to take The Census of Ireland, for the Year 1841. Dublin: Alexander Thom, 1843.
  • Great Britain, House of Commons. Parliamentary Papers, Accounts and Papers, Forty-three Volumes, (40. Part III.), Population, Ireland--continued. Vital Statistics. Session 5 March - 7 August 1874. Vol. LXXIV.--Part III.
  • Great Britain, House of Commons. "Population in Ireland: 1821 and 1831." Selection of Reports and Papers of the House of Commons, Vol. LVI, Population (1836).
  • Great Britain, House of Commons. Reports from Commissioners, Inspectors, and others: Twenty-Seven Volumes. (17.) Poor Law Union and Lunacy Inquiry (Ireland); Registration of Deeds and Assurances (Ireland). Session, 5 December 1878 – 15 August, 1879. Vol. XXXI (1878-9).
  • Great Britain, House of Lords, and House of Commons. "Statement by Robert Stuart, 8 July 1882; submitted to the Deputation from Companies' Irish Estates, 12 July 1882;" Report and Appendix, Vol. I., The Reports and Memoranda of the Commissioners, and The Oral Inquiry, by London Livery Companies' Commission, Presented to both Houses of Parliament by Command of her Majesty. London: Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1884.
  • Kernohan, J.W. The Parishes of Kilrea and Tamlaght O'Crilly: A Sketch of Their History, With an Account of Boveedy Congregation. Coleraine: Chronicle Office, 1912. Transcribed by Barbara Braswell and Richard Torrens; posted to Richard Torrens' Bann Valley Genealogy web site, www.torrens.org.uk/Genealogy/Bann Valley/
  • Kilrea Local History Group. The Fairy Thorn: Gleanings and Glimpses of Old Kilrea; published by The Kilrea Local History Group. Coleraine: Impact Printing, 1984.
  • Kilrea Local History Group. The Fairy Thorn Revisited: More Gleanings and Glimpses of Old Kilrea, published by The Kilrea Local History Group. Coleraine, and Ballycastle, 1996.
  • M.P. The History of Orangeism: Its Origin, Its Rise, & Its Decline. Dublin: M.H. Gill & Son, 1882.
  • The Temperance Advocate, Vol. I. Belfast: Hugh Rea, 1833.
  • Society of Friends. Transactions of the Central Relief Committee of the Society of Friends during the Famine in Ireland, in 1846 and 1847. Dublin: Hodges and Smith, 1852.
  • The Orthodox Presbyterian. Vol. V, No. LVIII (July, 1834).
  • Walford, Cornelius. The Famines of the World: Past and Present. London: Edward Stanford, 1879.
  • Wyse, Thomas. Speech of Thomas Wyse, Esq., M.P., on the Extension and Improvement of Academical, Collegiate, and University Education in Ireland (Cork, 13 Nov. 1844). London: Simpkin, Marshall, and Company, 1845.
This web page was edited on the 2nd April, 2015.
© Alison Kilpatrick 2015